Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

quicken import / trouble on redemptions

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby willy wave » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi there,

Been a long while that I was using FM. I'm currently on v10.9 (still ;-)

FYI: I created a cash account as investment ($1, no. = 0 to start with) and set that account to be the default cash account for this sub-portfolio.

I created monthly Quicken (QFX) files from within the Interactive Brokers platform. Purchases of investments are recorded properly (cash -/- , investment +/+ for the same amount).

However, once the investment is sold ("redemption" in the investment) I just see the no. of shares sold ( - x,xxx) but there is NO price to the transaction details. As a result, the proceeds from these transactions do not show up in the cash account either!

In other words: my holdings in no. of shares are correct, but I'm a bit short on money :-)

Each month there are a lot of transactions, so manually changing the redemption-data is not an option for me.

Is this a bug (upgrade?) or did I do something wrong?

Thanks!
willy wave

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi willy wave,

You can view your QFX file in Notepad or any text editor. Open up your QFX file, and see if there is pricing data for your sell transactions. If so, it should be imported by Fund Manager. If the sell transactions show a price in the QFX file, but Fund Manager isn't importing it, please try importing it with the current 12.6 version. If you still have troubles with 12.6, please email us this QFX file and we'll test import it here to see if we can reproduce the problem.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby willy wave » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:17 am

Thanks for your suggestions,

I checked the Quicken file. I'm stunned: zero price, and no commission on the date of sale. I will contact my IB-(introducing)-broker about it.

It's is pretty crazy IMHO. Especially a firm like IB should be having their quicken-exports up and running, shouldn't they? :shock:
willy wave

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:16 am

Hi willy wave,

I've heard from quite a few customers who download from IB and import okay. I suspect it may be something specific to your account somehow. I believe they also offer what they call a "Microsoft Money" formatted file. You might try that one. It is an OFX file, as opposed to a QFX file. Fund Manager can import both of these, using the same menu command.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby willy wave » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:10 am

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your help. I've now found the cause of the problem: once a structure product (like a turbo, speeder, sprinter) hits its stop loss level , the subsequent closing of that position is included in the Quicken file as having an order value of "0".

This is still not OK, of course. But at least it gives me some way of correcting my account info as the no. of stopped out positions remain fairly limited (well, 20 or so). Aafter going through all of those stopped out positions by hand (and entering the right proceeds arising from the stop loss ) my account is back to normal again.

I feel IB should be able to put in the proceeds from the SL into the transaction details of the Quicken file. But for some reason they don't do so.

Anyway, it's solved and I hope someone else may find this info useful, too.
willy wave

Return to Prices and Transactions