Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

New Portfolio-cash

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby zeebb » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:06 am

I am a new user so this question might appear fairly elementary.
How do I transfer cash into the portfolio? The only way I see is to create an investment called cash. When I buy shares, does the program use this cash? How do I add more cash?....simply change the value of the cash investment? This seems very awkward and impossible to track.
Thanks in advance!
zeebb

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:21 am

Hi zeebb,

To track cash, create a cash investment. For your cash investment the price stays at 1, and all your transactions are also at a price of 1. The number of shares equals the value. To add money, record a buy transaction in cash where the value/shares are the amount of the deposit, and the price is 1. You can assign this cash investment to be the "Default Cash Account" for your sub-portfolio. You do this under the "Properties..." of any sub-portfolio. Once assigned, any money you use/generate in that sub-portfolio will automatically go into/out of that cash investment.

To read more about this in the online help, see:

http://fundmanagersoftware.com/help/def ... _cash.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby PeterDalgety » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:49 am

Hi
I'm a new user. Is it possible to set up the cash account to show beg value, contributions and withdrawals without changing the Gain column. Every time i make an adjustment on the cash account all the average change on the reports? Which is the best way to use the transfer in and out function on the cash account as it doesn't show up on the reports?

Thanks
Peter
PeterDalgety

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:04 am

Hi Peter,

You want to record everything as it actually happened, including for cash. All your cash transactions should be at a price of 1, where the shares are equal to the value.

It sounds like you're looking at the Portfolio Performance report. In this report, any transactions you make within the time period of the report will affect the numbers, except beginning value. Any transactions made before the report's starting date will affect the beginning value.

Maybe you can describe what you are trying to adjust, and how you are recording it. If you want to add/remove cash, record a buy/sell for the amount of cash you want changed. You can view all your transactions in the Data Register (data type of "All Transactions"). Make sure they are all recorded as they happened. It is sometimes common to start tracking as of a certain date. If you're doing this, you would record a buy of cash on this start date for the amount of cash you started with. From that date forward, record everything as it happened, so your cash balance stays correct from that date forward.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hamandeggs » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:43 pm

I'm a new user. Using the portfolio wizard to retrieve from brokerage acc't. Below cash is a column named "MMDA 12." What is that?

Also after the download and saving etc, the Portfolio Editor window shows the following:
Indices
Janus Funds
Vanguard Group

They are in addition to my brokers name and appeared without any input from me. Should they be deleted?

thanks....hamandeggs
hamandeggs

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi hamandeggs,

That "MMDA 12" sounds like maybe a money market fund. It might be your default cash account. If you're not sure, you can try either selecting that, or cash, and see which way looks to match your actual cash situation.

It sounds like you maybe started with one of the sample portfolios open. Yes, you can just close those. Make sure you are not saving your portfolio file in the samples folder, as it could get overwritten if you install the program again. Use 'File / Save Portfolio As..." and save it to a new filename under "My Documents \ Fund Manager" (not in the Samples folder).
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions