Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

unable to retrieve transactions from vanguard

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby dev21g » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:26 am

Hi Mark,
Since yesterday I am unable to retrieve transactions from vanguard. Get a message saying "Failed to retrieve portfolio" followed by broker name (vanguard group), account number, and user id. Any help would be appreciated - I am using Version 10.9.

Devendra
dev21g

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:45 am

Hi Devendra,

The problem is with Vanguard's OFX server. We have contacted them, and they are aware of the problem and working to fix it. They could not provide an ETA for a fix though.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Zix » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:49 am

I'm just trying out Fund Manager and downloaded my info from Schwab without a glitch.

However, Vanguard did not work so well. I entered the account number, etc. and when I get to the "Preview Importing Transactions" screen and the "Select Transactions to Import" there isn't anything there to select. It doesn't seem like enough time has gone by to connect to Vanguard; the "Preview . . . " screen seems to pop up almost immediately.

What am I doing wrong?
Zix

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:13 am

Hi Zix,

If you get to the Preview Importing Transactions page, the retrieve completed without errors. It may be your retrieve settings. Do you have it set on "All Dates", and have both "Import Options" checked?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dev21g » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:12 am

Hi Mark,
For the past 3 weeks I am unable to retrieve transactions for "one" of my vanguard brokerage accounts.
I get a message saying "the recorded account number 'xxxxxxxx' is not available for the specified user id and password. Choose the correct account number or choose Cancel to skip the retrieve." This is followed by a list of all my accounts (brokerage and mutual fund) with Vanguard except for this particular brokerage account.
How come this one account is missing from the list even though I am able to access it on the vanguard website using the same user id and password?

Devendra
dev21g

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:29 am

Hi Devendra,

I don't know, it sounds like that account is not on Vanguard's OFX server for some reason. You'll need to contact Vanguard about this. Their OFX server is where Fund Manager (and programs like Quicken) retrieve transactions. This is a different server than their "web" server, where you log in with a web browser.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby modelerMike » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi Divendra,

I have had the exact same problem since the end of October 2013.
as yet unresolved.
Mark said OFX Server is returning Error 2003 which is something
he said Vanguard has to address.
Talked to Vanguard tech person who said they
can't help me with Fund Manager software only Quicken.
At this I asked if Vanguard cared more about their business partners
than their customers at which she tried to help in saying that the
problem with Quicken was resolved by 're-setting' the
OFX link. Not sure whether this is true or she was just trying to
say something to get rid of me, not being a business partner
or anyone important, just another Vanguard customer.
modelerMike

Postby aviator » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:26 pm

Vanguard has had issues with their downloads for the last few months. My understanding is that they (Vanguard) changed account numbers, which are not recognized personal finance software.

In Quicken, I deleted my online setup for each account. Then I reconnected using the new account numbers which Quicken retrieved. Interestingly, my FM connections continue to work without changing anything.

I believe this problem is 100 percent owned by Vanguard. It is not a Fund Manager or Quicken issue.
aviator

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi modelerMike,

It might be worth trying allowing Fund Manager to query Vanguard for your list of account numbers associated with your ID. To do this, retrieve with the account number blank.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby modelerMike » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks Mark and aviator !

aviator is correct here; it is an account # screw-up.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
All I had to do is use my OLD account # from 4 years ago.
Amazing ineptitude on Vanguard's part.

Happy holidays one & all ; even the Vanguard 'tech' people.
modelerMike

Postby MerrittMarkA » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:48 pm

I found this post helpful, but not entirely. So I'm posting this summary for others who will inevitably follow:

Vanguard accounts are typically split into two pieces: An account that holds Vanguard mutual funds and a brokerage account that holds everything else. They have different account numbers. You don't HAVE to create a brokerage account when you simply want to buy mutual funds, but they offer that option, and it's wise to keep your options open.

You can think of it in FM terms like this:

Vanguard Rollover IRA
{sub portfolio}...Brokerage

I was able to retrieve several different accounts (normal and brokerage) except for the two oldest brokerage accounts I have, because, as mentioned above, there is a discrepancy. Here are the details:

In 1Q2010, Vanguard changed your brokerage account number. Apparently, the old brokerage account number is still in use behind the scenes, but you don't see it referenced anywhere. It will have a format like this: XYZ-123456 or X5Z-123456. The last quarterly statement you have that shows the old format will be 4Q2009 (31 Dec 2009).

You need to use this old account number, and not the current account number whose format looks like this: 12345678

PROBLEM NOT NOTED ABOVE: You need to REMOVE the hyphen, or it won't work.
MerrittMarkA

Return to Prices and Transactions