Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Not able to update price on Indian company stocks

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby sureshshenoy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:11 am

I have fund manager version 10.9 / Quote Module 431 / Transaction Module 138

Until recently, I had no problem updating a portfolio of investments consisting of Indian stocks. Now, I do not seem to be able to update the portfolio.
Here are the ticker symbols for the stocks
NTPC.NS and TCS.NS

I get a message that says "One or more servers were unable to retrieve any prices. Would you like to ..." when I try to update the prices.

The quote server is set to "Yahoo". I also tried setting it to "Yahoo - India", with the same error message.

I have USA based stocks and mutual funds in two different portfolios and those continue to work OK.

Any idea what is going on here?
Thanks
sureshshenoy

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:40 am

Hi sureshshenoy,

There is an issue with Yahoo not reporting these quotes. If you look up this quote on Yahoo's site, and click on the "Download Data (Delayed)" link you can download a CSV file of the prices. This is where FM is getting the quotes, and those are showing up as "N/A". You can either wait for Yahoo to hopefully fix this issue, or you can use a different quote server, like Bloomberg. I verified your first symbol is available, but uses a slightly different symbol. It is:

NTPC:IN

and I verified it retrieves the price properly using the current quote module (443) in Fund Manager.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sureshshenoy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks for the quick response Mark. Yes, this approach works. I set the server to Bloomberg and changed the symbols to the new format suggested by you.
sureshshenoy

Postby sureshshenoy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Mark,

I have the same problem again. Bloomberg does not work. I went to the site and tried with the symbols NTPC:IN and TCS:IN and, as expected, it did not work.

I went to Yahoo finance and found the symbols TCS.NS (or TCS.BS) and NTPC.NS (or NTPC.BS) and I could look up the quotes. I edited the investments with these new symbols (.NS) and set the internet option to Yahoo and Yahoo(Historical) and tried updating.

I get a message stating "Could not update any investments".

When I try to find the status of the server here is what I get
===========================================================
Currently using Quote Module version 431, latest available is 431.

FUND MANAGER QUOTE SERVER STATUS

Last updated November 8, 2012:

This 10.x status page is no longer being maintained.
Please consider upgrading to the latest version.

The final quote module for 10.x was 431
===========================================================
Can you please guide me to get this corrected?

Thanks
sureshshenoy

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi sureshshenoy,

This has already been fixed, but only in the current quote module (453). We maintain the quote and transaction modules for the last 2 major versions, so this is for the 11.x and 12.x versions currently. It sounds like you are using 10.x, so to get continued updates to the quote module you will need to upgrade. If you have any troubles retrieving quotes using the current 453 quote module, please let me know.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions