Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Can't download latest transactions for TRowePrice tradeLink

Questions about updating prices or transactions in Fund Manager

Postby SDS » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:32 pm

Mark,

I have clients with accounts at TRowePRice who have retirement accounts divided into mutual funds, managed internally by TRowePrice, and externally through tradelink. When I attempt to download, I just get the mutual fund stuff and not the transactions executed in tradeLink. Is there a workaround to address this matter? I am using FM version 9.7/
SDS

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi SDS,

It may be that these are in a different account number? Maybe you have to set up another sub-portfolio in FM. Try retrieving with a blank account number, and you'll be presented with all the available account numbers for that username/password.

The other possibility is that for some reason T. Rowe Price isn't making those tradelink transactions available on their OFX server. You might need to contact them, and ask them.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:19 pm

I have the same problem with TRowePrice Tradelink, although for the last week, I haven't been able to retrieve any transactions at all at TRP. I've checked my log-in info in the portfolio properties and am able to log-in manually, but not with FM.

Tradelink does have a separate account number, but when I've tried to set up a sub-portfolio with that account number, FM comes up with a prompt for my main account number and will not retrieve any transactions. All of the Tradelink transactions are in one lump amount (the amount of my cash transfers in, not any purchases), so the value never changes.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 am

Hi dbender54,

What happens when you retrieve your main TRowePrice account? Are you getting some error message, or there are just no transactions shown in the Preview window?

For your Tradelink account, you might contact TRowePrice (or look on their website) for instructions on retrieving into Quicken. Maybe they have a different account number, or specific instructions for that account. Whatever they say to do for Quicken you would do the same in Fund Manager, as they are both using the same OFX server to retrieve transactions.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:47 pm

It seems the retrieval issue is sometimes fine, and sometimes not. When it doesn't download, here's the message I get:
Failed to retrieve Portfolio
Broker: T Rowe Price Retirement Plans
Account Number: (my account number)
User ID: (my user ID)
It did download tonight for the first time in a while.

As to the Tradelink issue, I'll contact their technical support. Their site indicates they support Quicken, so I'll see what they say about the download process.
dbender54

Postby dbender54 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 am

I contacted TRowePrice Technical support and they could only offer support for Quicken as fas as downloading transactions into Quicken. I did download the account into Quicken 2013. So is there a way to use the files in Quicken to bring them into Fund Manager? All that was required for the Quicken import was to supply the same user ID and Password. According to them, my account number is my social security number. However,if I change the account number I had in FM's portfolio retrieve properties to my SSN, when I start the download of transactions, it pulls up the account number I previously had, but still does not download the detail of the Tradelink transactions.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:38 am

Hi dbender54,

Yes, you can export from Quicken and import into Fund Manager, but it would be much better to get the retrieve working in Fund Manager. In Quicken, are you connecting to "T. Rowe Price", or "T. Rowe Price Brokerage". You should be able to use all the same information (username/password/acct #) in FM as you have in Quicken. If you do this, it connects okay, but then pulls up a list of account numbers, and your Tradelink account number is not listed? Is that correct?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:39 pm

I am downloading from T Rowe Price Retirement Plans for both Quicken and FM. When I set up the download for Quicken, I used my user name and password (same as for FM) and my SSN. It downloaded all of the account positions, including the Tradelink detail. When I changed the account number I had in FM to my SSN (from the account number), when I tried to download, it prompted me for the account number I previously had in the retrieval properties, so I had to accept that. Nothing changed in the FM download. It still shows the total of the cash I transferred from my retirement account into Tradelink and does not show any of the individual investments or the change in value. Setting up a sub portfolio in FM resulted in the same thing.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:16 pm

If you add a new account in Quicken, where are you entering your SSN? I believe they only initially prompt for Username/Password?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:11 pm

After entering the name of the investment manager (T Rowe Price Retirement Accounts), you enter your user name and password, then click Connect. It then asks the employer name (I enter my employer name), there is a radio button to select whether it is a current (my case) or prior employer, whether the account is yours or your spouse's. It didn't actually ask for my SSN (TechSupport told me that was my account number, though I forgot I didn't enter it).. It then imported all of my holdings, including those in Tradelink. The value in Quicken balances exactly to the balance in TRowePrice.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:31 am

Hi dbender54,

Okay, thanks for the information. Sounds like there may be something else going on FM isn't capable of handling. Could we do an online meeting sometime, and go through this together? If this is okay with you, let me know. I can email you, and we can work out a time. If you're not interested in getting that involved I understand. You would just need to export from Quicken and then import into Fund Manager. If you are willing to go forward with this, I hope we can improve FM's capabilities to directly support this situation.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:35 pm

I am interested in seeing if there is a way for FM to directly support accessing the data, so a web meeting is fine . I'm out of town this week, so next week would be better. Short term I'll try the import, though not sure how to not duplicate what's already retrieved. Email me with some dates/times next week and let's see what we can work out.
Thanks!
dbender54

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi dbender54,

Next week sounds good. You can just call anytime between 9am and 5pm PST. Our number is 480-705-0129.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi dbender54,

Thanks for your help debugging this on the phone today. I wanted to document here what we found. T Rowe Price is not providing tradeLink transactions, they are only reporting positions. Therefore, Fund Manager cannot retrieve the transactions. You can still use the reconcile feature to help you balance the account, as those positions do show up when retrieving the statement from your T Rowe Price.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to Prices and Transactions