Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Adding more currency to a portfolio

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Richard L » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:36 am

Hi,

I currently have a sub portfolio that is only having EUR investments in it but I am planning to start trading with other currencies with that account.

What's the best way to handle that ?

I will be funding the account with the different currencies and might also do some FX change (EUR to USD or HKD to USD).

Should I set up a sub portfolio for each currency ? Or can my current sub portfolio handle multiple currencies fine ?

Also will the FX rate affect how my performance is shown ? I want to be able to see my portfolio performance without FX rate affecting it or be able to see the FX rate impact on the performance.

Thanks!
Richard L

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:54 am

Hi Richard L,

If you want to use the default cash account feature for your other currencies, it is best to set up sub-portfolios underneath your main account for each currency. This way each sub-portfolio can have its own default cash.

You can turn on/off "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted", although many of the performance figures will not report by default when you have multiple different currencies, not adjusted, as this is kind of like adding apples/oranges. You can override this option, and tell FM to go ahead and calculate performance on mixed currencies if you want. It is at "Options / General Preferences... / Other / Allow Summing Values from Different Currencies".

Also, if you haven't seen it, I'd suggesting watching our tutorial on tracking multiple currencies.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General