Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Paper trading

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby johnkirin » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:57 am

Just drawing on the general knowledge of the readership ... I'm not sure if Fund Manager is ultimately part of the solution ...

I would like to paper trade several competing mechanical or semi-mechanical value strategies (so, multiple portfolios, 20-30 stocks each). None of the stock simulators I have found track corporate actions (which, when you're tracking dozens of stocks which are particularly prone to mergers etc. gets to be a bit of a chore). My strategies will not involve buying and selling that often, so I don't mind entering those transactions in Fund Manager. So, does anyone know of:

a) a simulator that applies dividends, splits, mergers etc; or

b) some site or app that will allow me to enter (and save) a list of stocks that will yield a consolidated list of corporate actions that I can thus efficiently enter into Fund Manager; or, of course

c) some other solution that has not occurred to me?

Thanks.
johnkirin

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:07 am

Hi johnkirin,

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I can mention that you could try to make use of the "Yahoo (Adjusted Historical)" quote server to account for dividends/splits. I'm not sure about corporate actions here... You can also use "Yahoo (Historical)" to retrieve dividend/split transactions, and have actual closing prices. This second option requires the Professional or Advisor version of FM.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby johnkirin » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:21 pm

Mark,

So, if using Professional as you describe, would a dividend transaction automatically be created in the cash account as well as the stock account, to simulate the receipt of a cash dividend? (Currently, I am only using Personal, and so cannot test.)

-John
johnkirin

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:55 pm

Hi John,

Yes, it would, as long as you have the cash assigned as the default cash account when retrieving.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General