Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Linking a sub-portfolio to Cash

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby JohnG139 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi.
Under master portfolio, I have 3 sub portfolios. I have just finished entering data for my Margin account. I established a 'margin cash' as a cash investment in the master portfolio linked to my margin account, and all transactions were correctly recorded in cash.
I have just started entering my RIFF tax free account. likewise, in the master portfolio I established 'RIFF cash' as a cash investment. After entering the opening data in the RIFF sub-portfolio, under properties I linked this portfolio to 'RIFF cash', just as I did with my Margin account. Now when I sell a security, it does register in the securities data register, but not in the cash register.
What is going wrong here?
Also, is it better to create new investments in the master portfolio and purchase them in the sub-portfolios? I created the new investments in my Margin sub, and then copied them to my RIFF sub. The data register includes all transactions for a security in both portfolios.
Thanks,
John
JohnG139

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi John,

I didn't follow exactly what your situation is, but if cash isn't being deducted automatically from your expected default cash account, you can check to make sure you don't have multiple default cash accounts assigned. For example:

Code: Select all
- Master
  - Acct 1
  - Acct 2
  - Acct 3

If you have an investment in "Acct 3", and you have a default cash account assigned to both Master and Acct 3, it will use the one you have designated in Acct 3, as it is more specific.

It is usually best to have each "Acct" sub-portfolio with it's own cash account, and all investments in that sub-portfolio using the default cash account in that sub-portfolio. You can assign default cash outside of a particular account, but that can be confusing, and is usually not how a brokerage account works.

You can create a new investment directly in any sub-portfolio you want. In the New Investment dialog, you choose which sub-portfolio to create it in.

If you still have questions (I suspect you do), please try posting a screen shot or something demonstrating the specific problem/question.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby JohnG139 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi Mark.
How do I post a screen shot?
JohnG139

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Hi John,

To Send A Screen Shot:

1) Press the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard.
2) Open up the Paint program. It is under "Start / All Programs / Accessories".
3) Use "Edit / Paste" inside Paint.
4) Do a File / Save As... to save this screen shot to a JPEG file.
5) When you reply to this post, click the "Upload Attachment" tab below, click "Choose File", and browse to this JPEG file, and then "Add the file".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General