Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

DAT File

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby rupertpage » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:34 am

For some reason one of my stock holdings has disappeared from one of my portfolios. I can find the DAT file in my documents.

why has this happened?
How should I go about restoring the holding to the portfolio ?
rupertpage

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi rupertpage,

How are you verifying it isn't in your portfolio? Is it maybe hidden? Did you try turning on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios"?

You can always re-open the investment file. In the Portfolio Editor, right mouse click on the sub-portfolio where you want it, and choose "Open Investment..." from the popup menu.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rupertpage » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi Mark,
Yes I did check that the file/investment had not been hidden.

And I located the Data file and I tried to open the investment but the following message was returned " Data file is incomplete or in an incorrect format
c:\users\Rupert\Documents\Fund Manager\BTL.dat"

I save a back up copy every other day to an external hard drive and even previous versions of my portfolio .MM4 file only have 485 as opposed to 486 Investment files. (So this investment file is not saved in my backups either !?)

The Investment I lost was a holding in British Telecom saved as BTL.dat in a sub-portfolio. I have 2 further holdings in British Telecom in different sub-portfolios labelled BT.dat and BTL2.dat respectively both of which are fine.

what should I do ?
rupertpage

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi rupertpage,

Somehow that investment file is corrupt, so you'll need to find a backup, or re-create it manually. You might look in your automatic backup folder. See "Options / General Preferences... / Data" to find the location of this automatic backup folder. Use "File / Restore..." to restore from one of those backups (*.FMB) in that folder. You can choose to only restore this one bad investment file. You'll need to find a backup file from before this problem occurred.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rupertpage » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Thanks Mark

That worked.

As always your support for your software is excellent. Bugs happen but you always have an answer!
rupertpage

Return to General