Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Bug in 2014.13.3?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Mary Kennedy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:14 pm

I have Fund Manager on two different computers and each one is doing something weird, but the two weirdnesses are different. Both have to do with recent transactions, specifically purchases. In one, FM correctly downloaded the new purchase but does not then list it in my list of holdings. I can't tell if it created a file for it or not because file names are unrelated to names of funds. I tried to add the new holding manually but then FM then deleted an entirely different holding, one that I had had for some time. That was really really weird.

On the other computer, FM correctly downloaded the purchase, and shows it in my list of holdings, but does not include it when it calculates total portfolio value.

PS, My broker is Fidelity Investments, and I notice that they always list transactions when they are only partially completed. They'll say you've done it but it hasn't cleared or something, then in another day or so, they'll say it is a done deal. So one hypothesis is that I downloaded when a transaction was only partially completed and that created these weirdnesses.

Also, coincidentally Fidelity is upgrading their site this week so another hypothesis is that they have done something that is screwing this up.

Do you have any thoughts about this?
Mary Kennedy

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi Mary Kennedy,

Why don't we take one problem at a time. Let's start with this:

FM correctly downloaded the new purchase but does not then list it in my list of holdings

So, you saw some transactions in the "Preview Importing Transactions" dialog when you did a transaction retrieve, but now you don't see an investment for them in some window? What window are you looking at your list of holdings? The most common cause for something like this is that your investments are marked as hidden, and you're not displaying hidden investments. Try turning on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios" and see if that doesn't clarify things.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mary Kennedy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:36 am

I have a created a standing report called "Holdings by Account." Here is the report for the IRA that has a new holding in it:

Fund shares end value
Fidelity Blue Chip 336 23,377
Fide cap and income 4008 41,004
MSFT 100 4495
IRA SUM 45,553

The Fidelity Blue chip is the new holding. It is listed here but notice that the sum does not include it.
Mary Kennedy

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:14 am

Hi Mary Kennedy,

1) Did you turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios"?
2) Check your report filter settings, and make sure you're not excluding something.

If neither of those help resolve this problem, please post a screenshot of the report in question.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mary Kennedy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:41 am

OK. That helped me find the problem, though I am still not clear why it occurred. I sold one investment, then bought another using the exact same amount of money. In between, I owned cash for a few minutes and FM counted a sale of the cash as well as a sale of the previous fund, so that it was removing the cost twice.
Mary Kennedy

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi Mary Kennedy,

You should have both a deposit of cash (from the sell), plus another withdrawal of cash for the purchase. If you don't see this, you can manually add whatever cash transaction is missing. You can also double check your default cash account settings under the "Portfolio Properties..." dialog.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General