Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Strange Freezes

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby DavidJ » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:31 am

Hi!

I'm running FM Personal 10.9 on Win7 Pro 64 bit.

Twice in the last few weeks FM froze up and seriously froze my machine with it. The first time, I couldn't get ANYTHING to respond, and eventually had to do a hard reboot. The second time, today, after many tries I finally got FM itself to close after many tries, but other than that couldn't even get Ctrl-Alt-Del to work, and eventually had to do a hard reboot.

I noticed two interesting things about the incidents: Both occurred when FM was trying to update prices from the default Yahoo database - it seems to have connected, but the download speed was locked at 0 - and Java apps were running when it happened, which doesn't happen too often on my machine.

My Java is up to date.

Is there a good chance that updating FM will solve the problem? I can't just try it, because I don't think that it happens every time FM is updating while Java is running.

Thanks.
David.
DavidJ

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:41 am

Hi David,

If you look at Task Manager, is FM using CPU?

Fund Manager doesn't use Java, so those should be independent.

Since your computer stayed frozen even after FM was gone makes me suspect some lower level problem on your PC, which would probably not be corrected with an updated version of Fund Manager. Also, if you've been running the same version of FM, and the problem just started, this also makes me think it is some lower level problem on your PC, that somehow got introduced recently.

You can definitely try the new version. Run it for a while, and see if it causes any changes. Make a backup copy of your data first, in case you decide you prefer to go back to 10.9.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby DavidJ » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:27 am

Mark wrote:You can definitely try the new version. Run it for a while, and see if it causes any changes. Make a backup copy of your data first, in case you decide you prefer to go back to 10.9.
OK.
Thanks.
DavidJ

Return to General