Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

transaction specific exchange rates

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby JohnG139 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi.
I am testing out FM and ran into a problem with exchange rate entry.
Initially I downloaded an earlier version, but after reviewing postings i went back and installed 2014.13.2
The same problem is encountered. My default currency is CAD.
Under Options/Currency Settings, I see no option for transaction specific exchange
Mark said talking to Milli:
What version of Fund Manager are you using? In the current version you can specify transaction specific exchange rates. When an investment is assigned to the non-default currency, and you enter a transaction, there is a check-box in the lower/left called "Specify Exchange Rate to Default:". If you check that, you can then type in the exchange rate to be used for that transaction. This is independent of your global exchange rate settings.

When I enter a transaction in USD I also see no option to specify transaction specific rate.
I cannot paste a screen capture of this dialog box.
I need to enter the exchange rate iTrade charges me for each trade, as I discover in communication with them they may charge a rate higher than end of day, or the rate specific to the time of the trade execution.
Thanks,
John
JohnG139

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:09 am

Hi John,

Please check the following:

1) You are entering a buy, sell, or distribution transaction.

2) The investment is not assigned to the default currency. See "Investment Properties...", and make sure it isn't selected to the top-most currency in that drop-down list.

3) The investment is not assigned as investment type "Exchange Rate". See "Investment Properties...".

4) The investment is not assigned as one of your exchange rate investments under "Options / Currency Settings...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby JohnG139 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Yes, I have done this before, and verified this now.
Still see no field to enter exchange rate.
If you have an alternate email address, I can send you snapshots of any dialog boxes.
Thanks
John
JohnG139

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:14 am

Hi John,

I've just sent you an email, so you can either reply to that with screen shots, or you can post them in this forum. To check all 4 points I mentioned previously, you would need to look in 4 dialogs:

Buy/Sell...
Investment Properties... / General
Options / Currency Settings...
Portfolio Properties...

Alternatively, you can create a backup, using "File / Backup..." and email me that *.FMB backup, along with the name of the investment that isn't showing the transaction specific exchange rate option.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General