Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Structure of investments & portfolio files

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Exspextations » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:01 am

I have set up Fund Manager so that all my portfolios are stored in the main Fund Manager data folder, but the investments associated with each portfolio are stored in a sub-folder, with the name of each investment based upon the symbol.

Until recently the screen showing the prices being downloaded showed the fund symbol and server from which they were being downloaded (e.g. Bloomberg / MSN / Morningstar). On 2nd July when I did a price update, a series of DAT files were created in the Fund Manager main directory with the structure IE0008368xxx.DAT, where xxx increases from 743 to 898. In addition, when I download prices now the screen shows the correct server, but instead of displaying the actual investment symbol displays one of the IE0008368xxx symbols - in fact when downloading prices, the system quickly downloads prices for the existing IE symbols, but then continues to search (very slowly) for IE symbols that do not exist on my system.

I have tried searching the various finance websites for these symbols, but none of them appears to be valid investment fund symbols. I have two questions: where do the IE files come from - has something change in the way Fund Manager works after a software update or have I done something wrong that caused them to be created, if so what; and, can I delete the IE files without trashing my data?
Exspextations

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi Exspextations,

Since you see these when you're retrieving prices, it appears you have somehow created all these investments, and they are open somewhere in your sub-portfolio hierarchy. I would suggest creating a Custom report with the field "Filename" and also "Portfolio hierarchy". Create this at your top-most sub-portfolio level, and do not sub-total, but just list by investment. Turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios" so you can see everything. Once you've created the report, sort the report by "Filename" using the top level "Sort" menu. This way you can see where they are located. Maybe seeing this will give you an idea of how they got added. If you don't want them, close them from within Fund Manager. You don't want to delete these investment files off your hard drive until after you've closed them in Fund Manager, and saved your portfolio.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Exspextations » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks for the response - I know what happened now - when I imported the price history for a fund it created new funds rather than importing the data into the existing fund to which the data should have been imported. I have now closed all the unwanted 'funds' and deleted them from the directory where they were stored - normal service now resumed :)
Exspextations

Return to General