Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

v12 User Defined Asset Type Labels -> v2014

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby ThomasK » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:05 am

v12 User Defined Asset Type Labels -> v2014
*** this is a post addressing extensive user definitions to Asset Types ***

I place my equities under a modified GICS structure.
Asset Types were manually coded for cash, gold, equities, etc with a numbering system.
My question is
> how do I configure v2014 best given the new Sector field and Asset Type field enhancements?
>> I'm concerned that the use of the Asset Types as I have done has or will create issues with "existing investment properties"
>>> SHOULD I simply reenter my old data from v12 and swap the use of Sectors and Asset Types?

Background:
I use a modified GICS structure. This was necessary to create a specific "order" to Assets and Sectors and I wish to maintain it. Basically, I changed (a) the Sector numbers and (b) combined Industry Groups, Industry and Sub-Industry with correlations. I have the 10 Sectors subdivided into 62 custom groups. For example, Materials is "O2" and Paper & Forest is "024"...my 4th group under Materials. Right now, a materials broad sector ETF would get the Asset Type of "02 Materials" but a gold producer ETF would get the Asset Type of "028 Gold Producers", and a Canadian Mining ETF would get "021 Metals and Mining".

These were manually entered in v12, in a specific order. ALSO I am using Asset Type to define ETFs that are broad sector based, so I DO HAVE user defined Asset Type fields for Sectors!

I read already:

From modlist: Added ability to re-order the display order for categories (Asset Type, Investment Goal, and Sectors). See "Options / Category Labels..." to specify the display order with the new "Move Up" and "Move Down" buttons. Previously the display order could be changed by changing the label text, but this affected the assignment of existing investments to categories. The new method allows re-arranging the display order without affecting existing investment properties.

"When performing a retrieve, if the asset type labels are not consistent with the labels used by the selected internet source you will be prompted for permission to reset the asset type labels. If you wish to retrieve asset information and also use customized asset type labels, only change the names of the "Unused" asset types.

You can set any investment to not retrieve its asset types by turning on: "Investment Properties... / Asset Type / Do Not Update When Retrieving Asset Types". This may be useful when you prefer to manually assign asset types for an investment.
"

Upgrade settings from v12 to v2014 so I don't mess things up??:

#1. Asset Types: I could try to maintain what I have IFF there are no issues that would affect existing investment properties.
Will v2014 allow me to move up/down existing Asset Type definitions? I have a small revision that is in the middle of the list. Will the up/down changes also show up on the Reports/printing?? I have lived with some 'inconsistencies' in the order but perhaps in v2014 I can reorder these to produce the order in the Report I wish?

#2. Sector types: I could use FM to automatically get GICS Sector codes, if I should NOT be doing this within Asset Type. FM will not be used to "overwrite" my custom Asset Types.

Here's a thought: IFF I can maintain my existing Asset Type structure, perhaps I could get FM to automatically download Asset Types...I would of course have to then manually trick FM to use it's Sector field for my existing modified GICS structure (assets and equities) and set FM not to overwrite. Of course there would have to be about 80 exiting fields for me to do this. I would then allow FM to retrieve automatically the REAL GICS Asset Types in v2014. This would be the most work but it would allow me a time savings up front and a much more detailed breakdown. I do, however, stand my my modified GICS simply due to correlations.

#3. I'm willing to consider a change: Do you see a better way in v2014? I have not "seen" a conflict with using Asset Type as I have in v12.

I love the program and willing to retool it for the upgrade.

Thank you much,
Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:19 am

Hi Thomas,

If you want to use your existing asset type labels you can do this. Only if you want to "retrieve" the asset type information from the internet would you need to allow FM to change the labels. It will prompt you for approval to make this change when you do the asset type retrieve.

Yes, you can use the new move up/down feature to re-order your manually specified asset type names.

The "Asset Type" and "Sector" categories are completely independent. You can choose to retrieve just one of them, and leave the other with your custom names.

All of these category names are stored in the registry, so if you want to experiment, just do a "File / Backup..." before making any changes. If you decide you want to revert back, you can do a "File / Restore..." and all your category names and investment assignments to these categories will be restored.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi Mark,

I upgraded to the newest version and checked out Options / Category Labels.

There I saw it near the bottom of the 3rd section "Sector Labels"...the ability for me to choose GICS Industry Groups and not just GICS Sectors. Wow, awesome, I fell off my chair.

Does this mean, for example:
- IBM displays as "Software & Services"
- AAPL displays as "Technology Hardware & Equipment"

If so, great. Next question is then how does it sort/display these for (custom) Reports.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Ind ... n_Standard

Does it do it by SubCode number, alphabetically, or can I determine the sort order.
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi ThomasK,

If you choose to use either of the GICS options for your Sector labels you must manually assign each investment to the desired GICS sector. You do this under "Investment Properties... / Sector". Reports will list the sectors in the order you have them listed under "Options / Category Labels...". Notice, the "Move Up/Down" buttons. You can also right mouse click on the list and choose to sort them alphabetically.

If you choose either the Morningstar or Yahoo sector labels, then you can have Fund Manager automatically retrieve these assignments for you, instead of manually specifying them. See "Edit / Internet Retrieve / Sectors...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ThomasK » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:27 am

Ah, I get that: manual vs automatic. Good.

I've not entered anything yet. I see if I select in Category Labels, "Use Default Sectors", then clicking on Reset Defaults I get to see what the various lists are. Groovy.

Thanks.
ThomasK

Return to General