Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

FM Renamed all my files

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby dellwo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:24 pm

For a few years I've been using Dropbox to keep my files synced from work and home.
Suddenly, FM renamed my files, most with '_1', and many others with truncations or other characters removed.

So, I've been trying to rename the most recent copies back to what they were.
I thought I could then select them from the "Not Found" dialog but it only lets you select another folder.

Is there a way to correct the filenames in the '.mm4' file so I don't have to recreate everything (portfolios, logins...)? There's about 80 of 'em.

FM version 12.8

Thanks, Joe
dellwo

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi Joe,

FM won't just rename your files. Are you sure nothing else happened? What happens when you open your portfolio file, is it giving you a message about a missing investment file? If so, it sounds like something else renamed the files from underneath Fund Manager. If you open a portfolio file and it can't find an investment file that belongs in that portfolio file, it will prompt you for where that file is located.

It sounds like you might want to do a restore from a *.FMB backup. See "Options / General Preferences... / Data" for where your automatic backups are located. Use "File / Restore..." to restore any one of them. Choose the one to restore based on the date modified, and also based on the size of the *.FMB file.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dellwo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks, the restore got me up to May 23rd.
It looks like it happened 5/27/14 but I just noticed.
The data directory had both the original file then the ones with "_1" etc that had been updating since then.

I don't think anything else could have done it.
The names were changed 5/27 and FM was opening with the new names on its own.
If you can think of how that happened, I would be curious.
I didn't do it, I swear.

Any way, all is good (or close now) after restore.

Thanks, Joe
dellwo

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi Joe,

Did you maybe use the "File / File Operations / Set Data Location..." command? That can move all your data files to a specified folder. It will move the files to the specified folder if they're not already there. If the same named file is in the destination folder, it will rename the moved one, so as to not overwrite an existing file, and update the portfolio file to point to that new investment file.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dellwo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:18 pm

Nope, that would be hard to do accidentally.
dellwo

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi Joe,

Okay. Well glad you were able to restore your data. If you have any ideas on what may have gone wrong, or can reproduce the problem, please let us know.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General