Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

how do I get started?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby robvasi » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:31 am

If I mess this up and enter a wrong Portfolio Name and account number, can I correct this?

The Set up Wizard asks for Portfolio Name. What is this? Is this the name I want to give to all of my holdings, such as 'Rob's Investments,' or is it the holding company name, 'T. Rowe Price,' or is it the name of an individual holding, such as 'Blue Chip Growth?' Or could it be 'Roth IRA' or Traditional IRA?'

It seems logical that it has something to do with the company that holds my investments (T. Rowe Price) because it asks for an account number. However, each one of my investments at TRP has a specific account number. Blue Chip Growth as a account number different from New Horizons.

I went to the Tutorial section and it said nothing about what is supposed to be on the first page of the Wizard.

Since I have no idea what the result will look like, an explanation of the concept might be helpful for those of us who are challenged in this area (or maybe it's just me).

Thank you,

Rob
robvasi

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:09 am

Hi Rob,

Yes, anything you enter in the Portfolio Setup Wizard can be modified later. The Portfolio Setup Wizard is for setting up individual accounts, so give it whatever name you want for your account, like "T. Rowe Price Roth IRA" for example. Or, you could just put it as "Roth IRA", and later group it into another level of sub-portfolios by custodian. It is really a personal preference. For example:

Code: Select all
- Master Portfolio
  - My Accounts
    - T. Rowe Price
      - Roth IRA
      - Regular
    - TD Ameritrade
      - Regular IRA
      - Regular

is one option for naming, but it is really up to you. The Portfolio Setup Wizard is creating your lowest level account sub-portfolios, which you can move/rename etc later on in the Portfolio Editor. The Portfolio Editor window works a lot like Windows Explorer in Windows does for managing your files/folders. You can create new sub-portfolios for organizing, and drag/drop existing sub-portfolios to a new location in this sub-portfolio hierarchy. The benefits of a sub-portfolio hierarchy are that you can choose where to graph/report in this hierarchy. For example, you could report on just your Roth IRA, or you could report on your "My Accounts" sub-portfolio to get a report/graph on all your holdings.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby robvasi » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:34 am

Thank you Mark,

As a test, I entered my TRP Blue Chip Fund and the account number, followed by by login information. It went through the process and yet it did not download accurate information; $1.00 per share is not right, nor did it show my correct balance.

Is this because I am in the trial mode?

Rob
robvasi

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:36 am

Hi Rob,

No, the trial is fully functional. Did you retrieve "Transactions and Positions"? Did it show all your positions after it retrieved?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby robvasi » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (125.42 KiB) Viewed 1846 times

It has the correct number of shares but the share price shows as $1.00. I did something wrong, but don't know what. I will try again.

Tried it again; same result, price is one dollar. I know I asked it to download historical prices.
robvasi

Return to General