Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Asset Allocation- International

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby hoop » Tue May 13, 2014 10:04 am

I like the new features to download mutual fund asset allocations from Morningstar. This saves a lot of time. The issue I am having is that previously I tracked the asset allocations for US stocks as fixed income, large cap value, small cap, etc and then lumped all international into one bucket regardless of whether it was small cap or large cap. With the current software, I can't figure out how to determine what percentage of my portfolio is in international stocks. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to go back to my manual method?
Thanks!!
hoop

Postby Mark » Tue May 13, 2014 10:22 am

Hi hoop,

You have a couple options here... As you mentioned, there is no bucket for "International" in the default Morningstar asset types. Here are some options:

1) Manually set only your international investments to a "International" asset type you define. Under "Options / Category Labels..." you can change "Unused 1" to "International" for example. On you international investments, go to "Investment Properties... / Asset Type" and set them to "International", and turn on "Do not update when retrieving asset types". This way, all your non-international will continue to update, but these will stay assigned to your defined "International" asset type.

2) Use another one of the categories for this purpose. For example, you could set your "Investment Goal" labels to either what you used before, or something like "Domestic" and "International", and then manually assign all your investments to these goals.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General