Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Possible Backup File Date Bug

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby elliots » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Mark,

Just noticed that all my recent backups (since calendar year 2014) are showing a 1/1/2000 file date (date modified). Computer date is correct and I'm in Win 7 Home Premium SP 1 64bit. Using another file browser I see 1/1/2000 for date created, date modified, and date accessed. Time of day on the file is not correct either.

Elliot
elliots

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi Elliot,

Are you sure you're looking at recently created backups? Maybe they are located in an old autoback folder you're not using anymore? What directory are you looking in? Are these automatic backups, or ones you created with "File / Backup..."? If automatic, look at "Options / General Preferences... / Data" to see the folder location where new automatic backups are stored.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby elliots » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:24 am

Mark,

My backups go to a network storage drive mapped as Y:. I'm automatically backing up after every session and manually backup anytime I'm doing anything non-standard or before any major manual imports.

I've checked and have dozens of backups with the 1/1/2000 date. And when I manually backup with an identifiable name I can confirm that the backup is written with a 1/1/2000 date.

Elliot
elliots

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:31 am

Hi Elliot,

Interesting... I'm not able to reproduce this problem here. What if you do a manual backup to your regular C: drive somewhere? I'm wondering if the network storage device is somehow causing an issue. FM doesn't do anything special with the date modified when creating a backup. It just opens a file for write, dumps the data, and closes the file.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby elliots » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:43 am

Very interesting. A manual backup to the desktop on C: is correctly dated. Immediately thereafter I did a backup to Y: -- it's dated 1/1/2000. It appears to have worked correctly through December of 2013. I then checked another set of backups from another program and note the same thing: since 2014 they too are dated 1/1/2000. So it looks like something going on with the Network storage system -- I'll see if I can figure that out.

Thanks,

Elliot
elliots

Return to General