Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Edit/Internet Retrieve/Asset Types and Sectors

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby finmanjim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:00 pm

Does the following,

Edit/Internet Retrieve/Asset Types
Edit/Internet Retrieve/Sectors

only work for mutual funds, or can it be set up to work for individual stocks as well?

Thanks.

Jim
finmanjim

Postby finmanjim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Mark,

OK, I figured out one issue I was having with BRK class B stock regarding internet Asset Type and Sector retrieval. I was using Yahoo for price retrieval, and the symbol on Yahoo is BRK-B. The symbol on Morningstar is BRK.B.

Therefore, it seems that if you want to retrieve Asset Type and Sector information from Morningstar, you need to use the ticker symbol used by M* which may differ from the Yahoo symbol for the security. Of course, you will need to change the ticker for BRK back to BRK-B if you wish to use Yahoo for price retrieval.

Is there any way (or can you add) a feature that allows for alternate ticker symbols for the same security for specific functions? It's not that big an issue since the Asset Type and Sector information should not change that often.

What is your opinion on using Morningstar as the default server for stock prices as compared to Yahoo?

Thanks.

Jim
finmanjim

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi Jim,

Glad you figured out the problem. Yes, this can be an issue when the symbols are different. One solution is to use Morningstar for price retrieval when the symbols are different among servers. You can assign an investment specific quote server under "Investment Properties... / Internet Retrieve".

Yahoo is generally faster, so I'd probably suggest sticking with that for the majority of your investments, and maybe only using Morningstar when the symbols differ.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby finmanjim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Thanks Mark!

Jim
finmanjim

Return to General