Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Installing 2014 Upgrade on new computer

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Good_Vibe » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:18 am

Mark:

Just purchased FM 2014 Professional UPGRADE from 2013. Having a little getting started.

In particular, I've got a new computer on Windows 8.1 (formerly on Windows XP Pro, SP3). I backed up all FM files from the old computer to a portable disk. Have restored all directories and files onto the new computer.

Used the default location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Fund Manager for installation of FM 2014. The program files are where they should be (I think).

FM 2014 started OK, but tells me I'll lose all my preferences (including extensive report specifications). Also, FM did not appear to create an icon so I could pin it to my task bar.

I stopped FM because I hope to be able to salvage preferences. So first I need to know how to restart FM so I can provide serial number & license key (have both).

Secondly, I want to know if there is any way to transfer my FM preferences (not data, have already successfully moved the data). Still have to old computer running FM 2013 here in the office.

Thanks,
Phil
Good_Vibe

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:27 am

Hi Phil,

The recommended method is to use the backup/restore feature. This transfers all your data and preferences. We have instructions here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/newcomputer.html

The basic idea is you first run the "Set Data Location..." command to make sure all your data is in a single folder. This makes it easier to restore to a "specified" folder on the target machine. You don't want to install to the "Original location" on the target machine from a restore made on a different computer, that had a different data location path.

Once you run "Set Data Location", create a backup with "File / Backup...". Take that file to the new computer and run a "File / Restore...". See those instructions for the exact settings to use during the restore.

I'm not familiar with a message stating you'll lose all your preferences. If you run into this again, please let me know the exact text of the error message, and when you receive it.

If you run the installation program on your new computer, it should create a shortcut for you. Windows 8 works a little differently on these, but the path to the shortcut should be similar to:

Start / All Programs / Fund Manager / Fund Manager
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Good_Vibe » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:23 am

Mark:

OK, have done steps 1 & 2 on the old computer. Have the data on an external drive on the new computer.

Had previously run step 3 on the new computer. When I run the modsetup.exe on the new computer, FM apparently starts as an unlicensed evaluation. So I don't know how to enter serial number & license; nor really how to get FM started.

Have tried Fm.exe, fmadmin.exe, & modadmin.exe; don't seem to be what I should use.

Please advise.
Good_Vibe

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:33 am

Hi Phil,

Go here, and download and install the program again:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/download.html

After installing, you should have a shortcut labelled just "Fund Manager" pointing to the "Fm.exe" executable. It should have a green curved up arrow icon, with the black letters "F" and "M". That is the one you want to run. Once you get the program started, enter your license under "Help / Enter License Key...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General