Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Asset Type and Sector Information.

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby aviator » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:53 am

Hi Mark,
I own several Vanguard funds that fail to retrieve Asset Type and Sector information.

The funds properties are set to No-Load mutual funds, and I've verified that the symbols are correct. I'm attempting to retrieve from Morningstar.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
aviator

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 am

Hi aviator,

Are the "Fixed Income" type funds? The sector retrieve only works with security based funds or stocks currently. If this isn't the problem, please give me an example ticker symbol that isn't working.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aviator » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:15 am

Here are the ones that failed:
VFIDX (1):FAILED
VFSUX (1):FAILED
VBTLX (1):FAILED
VTABX (1):FAILED
VMLUX (1):FAILED
VWIUX (1):FAILED
VWLUX (1):FAILED
aviator

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:08 am

Hi aviator,

I didn't check all of them, but the first couple are "fixed income" style, so won't retrieve. They use different asset types and sectors as compared to security based funds. You may want to define one of your assets/sectors as "fixed income", and move these into that category. We are considering adding support for retrieving both security and fixed income assets/sectors, but for now we only are retrieving security based investments.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby pburton » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi Mark

I just want to echo what others have said so you know there is support in the user base for a couple of these features.

Please support Morningstar.ca. There are many funds which just don't appear on the morningstar.com and all of their sector and asset information has to be entered manually.
DYN2372, MFC842, F0CAN0713V, etc.

Support for the fixed income sectors.

It would be great if you could find a way to work these features in.

Thanks
Paul
pburton

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback. We will be looking into making improvements in this area.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi Paul and aviator,

We've just released version 2014.13.1 that addresses these issues. This new version supports retrieving fixed income asset/sector information, and also adds support for a new Morningstar.ca server. You can read more about these changes here:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/modlist.html

and some specifics on the capabilities of each server are provided in the documentation for each retrieval type:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help ... asset.html

and

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help ... ector.html

Please let me know if you run into any more issues once you've downloaded this new version.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby pburton » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi Mark

Thanks for the quick change. I updated a couple of my investments with the morningstar.ca symbols. One example is MFC842.

I use Internet retrieve -> Sectors -> and set Morningstar.ca. The sector information updates work. However, when I do an Internet retrieve -> prices, it fails. The sector retrieve and the price retrieve both use the same symbol, but they use different servers. If I set the quote server and historical quote server to morningstar-funds, price retrieval fails. I suspect it is because Fund Manager is trying to retrieve the prices from morningstar.com, but morningstar.com doesn't know about the symbol.

Am I configuring something incorrectly?

Thanks
Paul
pburton

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:22 am

Hi Paul,

You are correct. FM uses the same symbol for price/asset/sector retrieval, so if the symbol is different on the different servers in use, you would need to change the symbol. Usually the symbol is the same, so this isn't an issue. It sounds like for this it is a problem though. Maybe a solution here is for us to add support for retrieving prices from Morningstar.ca... We will take a look at this.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi Paul,

We have added support for retrieving prices from Morningstar.ca. You can get this update (467) by selecting "Help / Fund Manager on the Web / Check for Updates..." from within Fund Manager. This should allow you to keep the same symbol for all your price/sector/asset retrievals for Canadian funds.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Sergio » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to set up Canadian stocks, ETFs and Mutual Funds to properly retrieve Historical prices, Current prices, Sectors, and Types. I couldn't find a way to automate it, due to the different symbols used by the servers, and the limitations of the historical prices server of Morningstar.ca
I believe that it should be possible, in order to have only one symbol, to have the software recognize the suffix ".TO" used by Yahoo to recognize the Canadian securities, and the prefix "XTSE:" used by Morningstar.com, and make the appropriate text conversions removing, changing, or adding them as needed to access the different internet retrieval servers. In that way, all users could keep using just one symbol per security, no changes would be needed to transactions, data models, or reports, and the appropriate server could be used for each purpose. For example, if the symbol entered in FMS was XSP.TO (needed to get historical prices and dividends from Yahoo), and we wanted to get sector and type from Morningstar.ca, the system would send XSP, without .TO, as the symbol to be retrieved. This logic might also be extended to Bloomberg or other servers.
Please, let me know if that makes sense to you.
Sergio

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand the desire for this flexibility. It is not always as easy as just stripping off an extension when switching between servers. Some use completely different symbols. We are considering adding more flexibility, like being able to specify separate symbols for each feature (current price, historical price, asset, or sector retrieval). I imagine there would be one main symbol, and you could optionally override it on a per-feature basis.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General