Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Mandatory name change changes date aquired

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Bob_Patton » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:46 am

GMCR, which I acquired on 01/22/13, changed its name to Keurig Green Mountain on 3/11/14, and Fund Manager is now showing the date acquired as 3/11/14. My brokers statement still shows the purchase date as 01/22/13. This doesn't make sense to me. It seems like Fund Manager is changing it from a long to a short term investment. How do I deal with this?
Bob_Patton

Postby Bob_Patton » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:54 am

Also, this has changed my cost basis to $0.00. Should I just delete the Mandatory - Name Change, Transfer Out, Transfer In transactions that I down loaded from my broker? Thanks.
Bob
Bob_Patton

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:11 am

Hi Bob,

Yes, it sounds like you'll need to clean up the retrieved transactions. There are a couple ways you can record this:

1) Simply change the name/symbol of the original investment. If you ended up owning a different number of shares as part of this name change, record a split with a ratio of <new shares> for <old shares>.

2) A Transfer Out and a Transfer In. If you owned multiple lots, use the "Transfer Between" wizard to handle maintaining your cost basis in all the recorded transfers.

Personally, I find #1 simpler, but both are accurate. With #1 you'll only have 1 investment, but with #2 you'll have 2. You can hide the original one in that case, as you wouldn't own any more shares in it.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Bob_Patton » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks Mark. I went with number one. It's simper and makes more sense to me.

Bob
Bob_Patton

Return to General