Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Do I need FM Advisor?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby alessandro » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:34 am

Hi,
I currently use FM Pro.
Now, I need to merge my portfolio to my wife's one, in the same bank account. I'd like to be able to separately keep track of the two pfolios, like a Fund.
In Fund Manager, I should have two cash account, but when I buy a stock, I should be able to specify how much belongs to me, and how much to her.
Do I need to upgrade to the Advisor version? Is it able to do this, and how? I've already downloaded the trial version, but I don't see how to "split" securities to the two "clients".

Hope you can understand what I mean; English is not my language..

Thanks for your help
Alessandro
alessandro

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:11 am

Hi Alessandro,

No, you don't need the Advisor version for this. You just want to create sub-portfolios, one for each of you. For example:

Code: Select all
- Master Portfolio
  - My Accounts
    - Acct 1
    - Acct 2
  - Wife's Accounts
    - Acct 3
    - Acct 4

Each "Acct" would have its own default cash account. If you buy a stock in multiple accounts, create a new investment for that stock in each account where you bought it. You can have multiple investments for the same security, and each investment can have independent transactions. For some more tips on this, see:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_ ... tments.php
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby alessandro » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:41 am

Thanks for your reply, Mark

I'm sorry, I was not clear. What I'd like to do, is to create just ONE investment, but "assign" it to two people.
I try to clarify with an example:

Cash account # 1: 10,000 $
Cash account # 2: 5,000 $

Now I buy a stock for 7,500 $

In FM I want to create a single investment for 7,500 $, using 5,000 $ from acct # 1, and 2,500 from acct # 2.

The best thing would be that the percentages of the "splits" were automatically calculated, based on the weight of the two accounts..
The same idea applies to fees and dividends.
I should also be able to generate performance reports for each person.

Honestly, at the beginning, I tried to use the method you mentioned, but I found it is difficult and intricate, mostly when you try to reconcile the investments activities.

I hope I was more clear
Thanks for your patience

Alessandro
alessandro

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:46 am

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry, this is not supported in any version of Fund Manager. All Fund Manager versions operate on wholly owned sub-portfolios. You can't divide up a single account as being owned partially by multiple clients.

(This isn't strictly correct... If these ownership percentages were fixed versus time, and had less than 100 owners, you could utilize the categories feature. You could define categories as owner's names, and assign ownership percentages to these categories/owners. This only works if the ownership percentage doesn't change versus time, and you have fewer than 100 owners.)

If possible, it works much better to segregate accounts by owner, as I illustrated in my earlier post. In that case, each account is fully owned by a single entity (person, family, etc).
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General