Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Upload 12.9 data into 2014 beta

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Raymond » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Hello Mark,

I am jazzed about the new version. As a Morningstar user, the new level of detail should match up with what I have tried to do with FM.

As I prepare to upload a backup from FM 12.9 into FM 2014, I realize I have changed several preferences in the report section that I would prefer to be back to default settings.

Is there a step I can take at this phase that will bring account data, but keep other preferences at their default settings?

Ray
Raymond

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi Ray,

Are you running on the same computer? If so, there is no need to upload anything into FM 2014, it will just read in your existing data/preferences.

If you were transferring to a new computer, or a new user on the same computer, you could do a "File / Restore..." and restore everything except the global registry preferences. That would leave any registry entries un-changed. Assuming you had just installed FM fresh under this new user or computer, all the preferences would be at their default values.

It might just be easier to change whatever report settings you want back to their defaults... If you need any help on that, please let me know what setting you're looking at.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Raymond » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Non-downloadable symbols.docx
These failed the Morningstar Internet Retreive -> Asset & Sector
(12.84 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Hi Mark,

Just to update and share:

The transfer went well. Thanks for giving me both ways. One reason for leaving the old behind (12.9 on desktop) and starting fresh (Beta 5 on laptop) was I had attempted an elaborate system of capitalization and sectors. In 12.9, I used 12 boxes (to segregate out giant caps) and the morningstar sectors just like you did.

By using your automated method, I can do a monthly update quite easily with Edit->Internet Retrieve->.

The reconciliation of account balances went well. Impressive capabilities in the program.

During the Internet retrieve of Asset Types and Sectors, about 75% worked perfectly. The attached list shows the failed ones. It was mostly ETFs, MMFs and BRKB.

Now that all of my accounts and positions are in place with the servers accessible, I will upload "strategies" in the "Investment Goal label" section. Do you see any reason to keep the defaults in place - begin with "User Defined 1" or overwrite with my 8-12 strategies from the top?

The next step is reporting. I will study on my own and bring questions to you in several days.

Thanks for great software. I find it difficult initially - I am a non-accounting type - but with experience, it is very do-able and powerful.

Ray
Raymond

Postby Raymond » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Non-downloadable symbols (1).docx
all non-equity
(12.53 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Update to the non-downloadables!!!

After applying the work-around you provided the Canadian investor - make all ETFs become
no-load mutual funds, my list shrank to no equities at all.

The rejects were MMFs and bond type instruments. I also made BRKB into BRK.B. Problems solved.

BTW when I made the ETFs into ETFs, only one of the Type/Sector distributions would download.

Thanks, Ray
Raymond

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi Ray,

Glad you made progress getting them retrieved. We'll be fixing that bug where if your investment is marked as an ETF, it won't retrieve. Any investment that is considered "fixed income" by Morningstar will not download sectors, as they use a complete different set of sectors for fixed income.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General