Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Moving FM to a new computer

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Tom Kehrwald » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:53 am

I use FM 12.9 and recently bought a new computer. I just completed transferring all my data to a new machine running Windows 8.1. The instructions given on this site were very useful, but I still had a couple puzzles and maybe these comments will help someone. Since I was on level 12, I read those instructions first, but I did not fully understand the caution to be sure that all investment data files are in one directory until I read the more complete instructions given for levels before 12. It is a big tip to add the location and filenames to the portfolio screen to unscramble the mess if somehow investments landed in different directories. I suggest that the instructions for level 12 be updated to add this info.

Also, the investment data files must be in precisely the same directory. It does not work if some are in a subdirectory of the directory.

I had one pesky problem with a data file for the SP500 index. I finally figured out that investments in two different portfolios seemed to share this data successfully before, but when I did the backup, copy files to new machine and restore, the action aborted and generated a dump. Still it put out enough clues that I got around it.

When FM runs again on the new machine, it shows a list of the 4 most recently opened portfolios at the bottom of the file menu. I wish the names were purged on the restore, since they point to a path that is now invalid, although the portfolio name may be the same.

But, all-in-all, it works very smoothly. Thanks, Mark.
Tom Kehrwald

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback/tips. Along these lines, the new FM 2014 version automatically checks when it does a backup if all your data files are in the same folder. It will prompt you if they are not, and offer to move everything into a common folder before doing the backup. This is equivalent to running the "Set Data Location..." command in FM 12 before creating your backup.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tiborv » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:43 pm

I also moved FM to a Windows 8.1. All worked okay yesterday, but when I try to exit (with backup) or just to do a Backup, I get an error Access Denied for one (and I assume the rest of the open investments) to the directory when FM is installed (c://Program Files/....
I have defined a Backup directory on an external drive and seemed to have worked yesterday but it does not seem to be backing up to that folder.

I wonder what it could be. Thanks for your help!
tiborv

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Hi tiborv,

You don't want to save any data files, or perform you automatic backup into the Program Files area. That is not writable by Fund Manager when running as a regular user. You can set the location of your automatic backup under "Options / General Preferences... / Data". A good place is the default, which is:

My Documents \ Fund Manager \ autoback

For your regular data files, if they are being opened from the Program Files area, you should move them. You can do this with "File / File Operations / Set Data Location...". A good location for your data files is:

My Documents \ Fund Manager
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby El Wealtho » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:16 am

Just tried "Transferring Old Fund Manager Versions To A New Computer" (Windows 8.1), using your instructions here:
http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/newcomputer_11x.html

Most of the data files "could not be found" with the result that only a quarter of over 200 investments appeared in FM on the new computer. The data files were in two folders. Some from each folder appeared in the new incarnation.

I have one main portfolio consisting of 4 levels and containing about 12 sub-portfolios. These appear to have been resurrected properly. Only the individual investments have disappeared.

How should this situation be handled?

Many thanks.

PS Noticed that upon re-restoring the portfolio I got a different number of investments. Then, upon doing this again, there were NO investments.

After having uninstalled FM and deleting the data files from the new computer, retracing all steps has resulted in, again, NO investments in the new installation. Re-backing-up FM on the old computer and doing the whole thing again has resulted in the same: NO investments appearing in the FM portfolio and sub-portfolios.

At a complete loss at this point.
El Wealtho

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:20 am

Hi El Wealtho,

When you do a restore, do you see all your investments in the list of items to restore? Are you choosing to restore to the original location, or a specified folder? After the restore, are all the files located on your hard drive where you restored them to? Are you opening the same portfolio file that you restored? Do you get any error messages when opening this just restored portfolio file? Maybe you could also tell me some of the file paths you're using, like what folder are you restoring your data to?

The other option is to upgrade to 12.x, and then you can use the newer method which is easier. With 12.x you can use the "Set Data Location..." command before backing up, to ensure everything is in 1 folder, and when you restore, you can restore to a specified folder, not the original location.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby tiborv » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks Mark!
tiborv

Postby El Wealtho » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:10 pm

Kindly disregard everything at this point. I have redone the entire procedure and it seems most if not all investments have appeared!

Mark wrote:Hi El Wealtho,

When you do a restore, do you see all your investments in the list of items to restore? Are you choosing to restore to the original location, or a specified folder? After the restore, are all the files located on your hard drive where you restored them to? Are you opening the same portfolio file that you restored? Do you get any error messages when opening this just restored portfolio file? Maybe you could also tell me some of the file paths you're using, like what folder are you restoring your data to?

1) Yes.

2) Specified folder.

3) Yes.

4) Yes, though not sure I understand this question.

5) No.

6) Restoring data to "d:\fund manager data" on new computer. FM is on C drive, in case that matters. Do you require info on other file paths?
El Wealtho

Return to General