Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Segregating securities within an account

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby B2B_Investing » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:59 am

Hello. I recently purchased the software and am sill fine-tuning it (setting it up?) for my needs.

A brokerage account holds various securities that are pursuing different strategies (e.g. 36 securities collectively have one objective and the other 24 collectively have another) What are my options to set up the portfolio structure or the reporting structure to understand the value and performance of the groups. (e.g. the aggregate performance of the 36 is___, and the performance of the individual components is___). I have considered moving the securities into sub-accounts within the brokerage account but would that cause duplication of transactions since the account login information appears to be at the sub-account level, Below is my current account/portfolio layout.

Master Portfolio
IRA
IRA Brokerage
IRA Mutual Funds
Non Retirement
Brokerage
Mutual Funds

I appreciate the help and thanks for a great product.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:15 am

Hi Jason,

You can use sub-portfolios for this. Just create sub-portfolios beneath your account level sub-portfolio, and move the appropriate investments into each sub. You can then report at either the strategy levels or the account level. For example:

Code: Select all
- Brokerage Account
  - Strategy A
  - Strategy B

Your transaction retrieve settings are assigned at the "Brokerage Account" level, and this will work fine. When you retrieve transactions for this account, anything anywhere underneath this level will get updated if it matches on the CUSIP. They are all considered within the same account.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Raymond » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:14 am

Hello Mark and Jason,

I am attempting to do something similar.

I employ several different strategies and use positions that are scattered among over 20 different accounts. As a result, an individual account will be populated with positions from the growing dividend strategy, harvest dividend strategy, speculative growth equity, etc.

My original plan was to use the "Investment Goal" user defined labels.
Is that a good way to go? Is the mentioned sub-portfolio method better?

The desire is to be able to monitor performance on the strategy level in addition to position level.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

Ray
Raymond

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi Ray,

It is usually best to have your investments located in a single sub-portfolio that represents the account they are held in. You can use sub-portfolios to group accounts in various ways you want to view them. However, if you want to view investments grouped together in various ways it is best to use one of the categories, like Investment Goal. You can do your reports where you list by investment goal, or sub-total this way, so you can see how that grouping of investments is performing.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Raymond » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Thank you Mark. That is what I will do.

The report, subtotaled by strategy, using list by "Investment Goal" is how I will monitor the results.

Ray
Raymond

Return to General