Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Moving Funds

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Ron Myers » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:41 pm

I have moved a number of mutual funds (with long reinvestment histories) from the fund companies to my broker (in kind transfer) . How do I go about moving the investments in Fund Manager. I see a shares out transaction and a shares in transaction, but nothing that moves between sub-portfolios.
Ron Myers

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi Ron Myers,

You could do it a couple of different ways...

1) Simply move the investment from one account to the other. This will move the whole history of that investment.

2) If you prefer to not move the investment, you can do a "Transfer Between". Use this wizard, and it will record a Transfer Out transaction in the source investment, and one or more Transfer In transactions into the destination investment. It will create one Transfer In for each open lot you had at the time of the transfer. To use this, right mouse click on the source investment, and choose "Investment Data / Transfer Between...".

Option #2 is probably technically more correct, as if you look at the history in the new account, there will be none before the transfer date, and the old portfolio will have all the history before the transfer in kind. However, it is sort of a personal preference, as if you want to see the performance history of that fund, no matter what account it was located in, you won't be able to do so with method #2.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General