Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Programme Installation in the Cloud

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby rojeg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:56 am

Hi Mark

Being able to work with FM in the cloud is great, thanks for this feature.

I ran into the following problem:

I had the data files (already before the new feature was enabled) in the cloud (livedrive.com) and the programme on the local disk.

Data files:
L:\Family Office\FM Backup

Programme:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fund Manager

Set Data location: L:\Family Office\FM Backup

I then installed the programme also into the cloud according the Portable/Cloud Mode instruction:

L:\Family Office\FM Backup\Fund Manager

After installation I turned on the "Portable/Cloud Mode" under Options and entered my Advisory licence key.

I then went to my laptop and opened the FM from the cloud drive and everything was how I had it before running the non-portable version, except that it now shows me "unlicenced version" and does not show anymore the licence key under Help==>about.

I now went back to the local version (which I kept installed) because I do not want to work with an "unlicenced version". I also did not try to reinstall on the cloud for not losing another licence key.

How can I fix this problem? I would really like to use the (licenced) programme from the cloud.

Thanks for your support.

rojeg
rojeg

Postby Customer Support » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:04 am

Due to vacation, technical support will be unavailable until Friday, July 5th. We will reply to your post on Friday.
Customer Support

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:45 am

Hi rojeg,

A couple of observations...

1) It is nicer to have the data _below_ the FM program folder, instead of the other way around. So, install FM to:

L:\Family Office\FM

and put your data in:

L:\Family Office\FM\Data

You can just move your data from the current location to this location.

2) When you start FM, make sure you are starting it from L:\Family Office\FM\Fm.exe, and not a local copy of FM.exe on your system. You may have old shortcuts to your C: drive, or something. Just create a new shortcut, or double click on L:\Family Office\FM\Fm.exe to start it from there. When you start it, you can verify that the portable mode is turned on under "Options / General Preferences... / Data" to ensure you've started it in portable mode. Then, no matter what computer you are on, as long as you start it from this Fm.exe, you should always be in portable mode. Also, verify that you've opened the portfolio file from your "Data" folder underneath where you've installed the program.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rojeg » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:26 pm

Hi Mark
I am experiencing problems with my cloud service (livedrive). Has nothing to do with Fund Manager.
I would like to move, therefore, Fundmanager from livedrive to Google Drive. The current configuration is:
L:\Family Office\FM Backup\Fund Manager

(Despite your recommendation in the last post from July 13 I kept this configuration and entered my remaining licence key and since then it worked perfectly. I am aware the Data location is not ideal based on your at-that-time-post.)

How shall I move now the configuration (program and data) from L:\...\ to Google Drive? Can I copy/paste into Google Drive and then reset the Data location to the Data Folder on Google Drive?

Thanks for your help!

rojeg
rojeg

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi rojeg,

The easiest thing is to just copy your whole "FM Backup" folder onto your Google Drive folder. Start FM by double clicking on the Fm.exe in this new Google Drive location.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rojeg » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi Mark

Thanks for your support. I did as you described and it works perfect.

I might come back since I am going to upgrade from Advsior version 12.3 to the newest version, but I will read the upgrade instructions first.

Thanks again!

rojeg
rojeg

Return to General