Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Combining equity position that had been held in 2 accounts?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby amorris101 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:47 am

I have an equity MSI in a brokerage account and I have the same equity MSI in a DRiP account. They are shown as two separate positionsi in my Master Portfolio. Now I've transfereed some or all of the MSI holding in the DRiP account into the brokerage account. How do I combine in part or in whole two identical equities that had been in separate accounts?
amorris101

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi amorris101,

You can use the "Transfer Between" wizard. Right mouse click on the source investment, and choose "Investment Data / Transfer Between...". Fill out that dialog, and it will record the necessary transfer transactions for you. Once you've transferred all the source shares, you can "hide" that investment to no longer have it listed.

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_hide_sold.php
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby alan green » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:47 am

I did what you mentioned and the shares are correct, however my yields 3m, 6m, etc are not correct.
alan green

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi alan green,

Which yield is not correct? One for the 2 accounts, a single account, an investment, or a symbol? How are you determining the yields are not correct? Did you look at the yield log file?

For yields, look at the value on the beginning of the yield term, the value at the end of the yield term, and the transactions in the middle of the yield term. For more on yields, see:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help/yields.html
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby alan green » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:55 pm

The investment is a mutual fund and the yield that appears on my home page isn't correct. The fund is down this year and the 3 month, 6 month and 1 year yield that I have set up in the columns shows the fund being up 190%.

A little background. I moved all the etf, stocks, etc from my pension fund into my IRA with no problems. I had xyz fund in both my pension and my IRA, so when I moved the xyz fund to my ira I had two of the same fund, so I transferred one of them into the other using the Transfer between mode.

Hope that helps.
alan green

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi alan green,

What window are you looking in that you called your "home page"? Do you mean the Portfolio Editor window? If so, what field are you looking at for the yield? Look at the top of the column, and see what that column is labelled?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby alan green » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Yes, the portfolio editor window. The column header reads Yield 3m, the next one Yield 6m and the next one Yield 1y.
alan green

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Those are ROI yields back 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year from the current date. Therefore, if you have an incorrect yield showing, check your recorded prices at the ending and beginning of these yield terms, along with any transactions during the yield term. So, for example with the 3M yield, you would check the price today (7/10/13) and 3 months ago, (4/10/13). Check these in the Data Register (double click on the investment), and look under the data type of "Prices". Make sure the prices recorded on/near these dates are all correct. Also look under the data type of "Transactions All" in the Data Register and make sure any recorded transactions between 4/10/13 and 7/10/13 are all recorded correct. For example, make sure you don't have any purchases of shares at a cost of $0, which can inflate your reported ROI yields.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby alan green » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:37 am

When I look in the Transactions All I see all the shares that were Transferred In. All of these have a price of zero. Is there a way to transfer them in with the correct price on the date of transfer?

Alan
alan green

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:59 am

Hi Alan,

How did you record these Transfer In transactions? Did you use the "Transfer Between" wizard as we discussed earlier in this thread? If so, you want to make sure and enter the correct "Market Value" in that dialog, so it enters the correct market value of the transferred shares. You can either edit those transfer in transactions now, or you can delete them, and the transfer out from the source investment, and re-record using the transfer between wizard, making sure to enter the correct market value on the date of the transfer. It sounds like you had a $0 for market value in the transfer between wizard.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby alan green » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks Mark, that worked.
alan green

Postby ThomasK » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi Mark

Does the Transfer Between wizard combine all the line items in the Data Register also? I am combining two registered accounts, where most of the holdings are the same, just smaller in account 2.

Thanks
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:10 am

Hi ThomasK,

The transfer between wizard will move all your shares. It does this with transfer transactions. You'll have a single "Transfer Out" from the source, and one or more "Transfer In" into the destination investment. You'll have one transfer in for each open lot you are transferring. This allows you to retain your tax basis information of all the transferred shares.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General